Thursday, March 5, 2009

I LOVE CASSEROLES...Don't Judge

Lately I've been eating a lot of rich and/or ethnic food and, as delicious as these meals have been, I can't help but crave something homey...specifically a casserole. I think casseroles are a great cultural phenomenon in that they have moved in and out of popularity for decades (and maybe longer) - my favorite era is the 1950s to early 60s. When I think of casseroles, my mind immediately jumps to a "Leave it to Beaver" type house wife wearing a beautiful dress (covered partially by an apron) with pearls and modest heels taking a large glass dish out of the oven just in time for a family dinner. I LOVE this image.


Back to the casserole. I feel like it's time for this beautiful, affordable, left-overable dish to make a come back. There are even websites that have "vintage" casserole recipes! The best part about a casserole is that you can literally put anything into it...left over veggies, meat, fish, rice, noodles...the combos are endless.

Anyway, I think the real reason why I love casseroles is because it reminds me of my mom. She used to make tuna and noodle all the time and I have distinct memories of her in our kitchen creating these little casseroles in her Corning Cookware. I don't know if anyone would say that she was a "gourmet cook", but I've never had better tuna and noodle casserole!

Tuna and Noodle Recipe:
Ingredients:
2 cans of albacore tuna in water
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
Splash of milk
1 package of egg noodles
1 cup of frozen peas
Salt and pepper
Directions:
Boil the pasta in salted water for about 8 minutes. Drain and return to pot. Add both cans of tuna making sure to break up large chunks. Add the can of mushroom soup and the frozen peas. Mix together. If the consistency is a little sticky, add milk a few table spoons at a time until the sauce is thick, but smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a oven safe glass pan and bake at 350 F until golden brown on top.

1 comment:

  1. Steve would LOVE this recipe. Too bad his wife is vegan:)

    ReplyDelete